Sunday, July 6, 2008

Westchester and the 4th of July

One of the things Julie and I like to volunteer for is to participate in a Sacrament Program given at an Elder Care Home at Westchester. It's a Sunday meeting where the elderly come and have church. The Elders Quorum and the High Priests group take turn conducting the meeting each month (first Sunday of each), setting up the speakers and hymns. Since I was very young, I've always had some uneasy feelings going there since I saw my grandparents there. A few months ago, I was asked by my High Priest group leader to help with preparing the sacrament while he conducted. Since I am his first assistant, I felt it was my duty to go. When I got there and got around the elderly, it felt different this time. I felt a deep love for folks that have lived long lives and who have probably done a lot of good. Some may or may not have family close by so having the singles ward come to put on the Sunday meeting for them was something they looked forward to. This is my fourth month going and I have to say I look forward to it now and greeting the residents who attend. Today's meeting was to honor our forefathers.

These are some thoughts that I have heard at this meeting and also from a couple of friends. Did you know that both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the fourth of July in the same year and just hours apart? That was news to me. Maybe some of you had already heard that. I had not. Here is a thought shared by Julie Garner in our ward about George Washington in our meeting today. During a particularly tense and difficult meeting, President Washington was faced with civil discord. As he got up on the stage, the army soldiers did not have the love and devotion he thought they would have. As he delivered his address, the soldier's hearts were not softened toward him. At the conclusion, he remembered a reassuring letter from a congressman and decided to read it. As he struggled to see the writing, he made the following comment. "Gentlemen," he said, "you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country." This homely act and simple statement did what all Washington's arguments had failed to do. The hardened soldiers wept. Washington had save the United States from tyranny and civil discord.

Here are some thoughts share by Jackie Lowell in this same meeting about Lincoln. "A visitor in Washington once had an appointment to see Mr. Lincoln at five o'clock in the morning. The gentleman...presented himself at a quarter of five in the waiting-room of the President. He asked the usher if he could see Mr. Lincoln."

"No," he replied.

"But I have an engagement to meeting him this morning," answered the visitor.

"At what hour?" asked the usher.

"At five o'clock." "Well, sir, he will see you at five."

The visitor waited patiently, walking to and from for a few minutes, when he heard a voice as if in grave conversation.

"Who is talking in the next room?" he asked.

"It is the President, sir," said the usher, who then explained that it was Mr. Lincoln's custom to spend every morning from four to five reading the scriptures, and praying.

With hearing the many efforts in our country to quell the pledge of allegiance, stop prayer in the schools and other initiatives, stories such as these reassure me that the United States was established by men who truly love God and acknowledge his hand in running it. God Bless America! How grateful I am for our founding Fathers and the great sacrafices they made on our behalf.

No comments: